Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Musings - The Game Keeper

In addition to running comics reviews from time to time, I also plan to use this space to muse about comics that pique my interest (as much as I like talking about Fox Atomic / Fox Atomic Comics, one must switch topics of conversation every now and again). Today I would like to muse upon The Game Keeper, a recent release from the nascent Virgin Comics group.

The game keeper pairs filmmaker Guy Ritchie (whose early films I enjoy quite a bit) with comics writer Andy Diggle (who is currently writing one of my favorite books, Hellblazer). This book has a fairly typical set-up: we are introduced to a mysterious Chechen groundskeeper (the titular ‘Game Keeper’) on a Scottish farm run by a wealthy old man that, for some reason, is taking in and training run away children for an unknown purpose. At the end of the story the farm is attacked, and we begin to see that the Grounds Keeper is more than he seems… While I enjoyed the premise as well as the art, what made me laugh was overall the story has a particularly ‘Young Guns in Scotland’ feel (it’s all there; the Terence Stamp character, the ‘runaways’ as the Young Guns, etc etc). Regardless, I’m very curious to see where the story goes from here. The marketing materials are billing this as the ‘anti-Bond’, something that also piques the interest.

Ok, back to Fox Atomic Comics. Be sure to check out these reviews for 28 Days Later: The Aftermath!

AINT IT COOL NEWS REVIEW
FANGORIA REVIEW
JOBLO.COM REVIEW
COMIXTREME.COM REVIEW
DREAD CENTRAL REVIEW
STEVE NILES' GUEST BLOG ON MANIA.COM (NOT A REVIEW, PER SE, BUT A FUN READ NONETHELESS)

Later

No comments: