Monday, April 30, 2007

The Last Sane Cowboy

You may be wondering, 'the last sane cowboy'? Has that crazy Texan finally snapped? No, the title of today's post is in reference to a really cool graphic novel that I recently picked up from the good folks over at AIT / PlanetLar. As previously mentioned I will be posting comics reviews in this space every now and again, and to kick things off I thought I would give a few thoughts on that book, titled “The Last Sane Cowboy & Other Stories”.

The book is a collection of exceptionally ‘off the wall’ short stories, complimented by very minimalistic black and white artwork. I am not familiar with the writer (who is billed as ‘comics’ premier surrealist’), but that appellation certainly fits. One story (the titular ‘Last Sane Cowboy’) follows a mysterious cowgirl as she tries to save her goldfish brother from a town populated by talking horses, floating skulls, and a scorpion that wears a cowboy hat given to him by his mother. Oh yea, RIGHT up my alley. This book is certainly not mainstream, but the writer crafts exceptionally surreal tales that me laughing the entire time. I highly recommend it!

Finally, I will be adding these 28 Days Later: The Aftermath reviews to the ticker below shortly, but until that happens, please feel free to check out the following links!

AINT IT COOL NEWS REVIEW
FANGORIA REVIEW
JOBLO.COM REVIEW
COMIXTREME.COM REVIEW
DREAD CENTRAL REVIEW
STEVE NILES' GUEST BLOG ON MANIA.COM (NOT A REVIEW, PER SE, BUT A FUN READ NONETHELESS)

Later

No comments: